Monday, July 29, 2013

Those Lovely 48s

For some reason the font on this blog is all messed up... I don't know why, I've tried to fix it to no avail. Sorry about it, bare with me and read on...


I've mentioned a few times that I own an RWS 48. It is without a doubt my favorite air gun that I have ever owned. It is accurate, powerful, rock solid, and just reeks of quality. I guess Im rather bias but Im going to give you a review of it anyway.

Accuracy: 
The RWS 48 I own is incredibly accurate with pellets it likes, for mine its 14.66 grain H&N Field Trophys. I did a post about the accuracy this rifle has a few weeks ago but I figured it would be a lot more convincing if I showed you. So here you are for the first time ever, pictures! Ooooooh Aaahhhhh!

 To give you an idea, this is what two 2 1/2 inch circles and two 4 inch circles look like at 100 yards.
 I used the bottom circle to figure out my hold over and adjust the windage knob on my scope.
When I felt I was ready I took a shot at the top circle; I decided this was one of those quit while your ahead times.

Power: 
I used it to shoot through a phone book... I feel like thats all the explanation you need for a 5 star ranking. 

Build Quality: 
OK... I'll be honest, there is some plastic on it which I'm not a fan of. Overall though the rifle is solid, sturdy, and the fit and finish are top notch! The stock is nice and solid though I'll admit I would love to see it in Walnut but hey, this one is pretty darn good as it is. The blueing on all the metal parts is rich and deep, much like the bluing you see on browning rifles.

Trigger: 
I will admit its about the best trigger I've dealt with in a stock air rifle but I feel like It could be better. My benchmark for a great stock trigger is a Remington X-Mark Pro and until I get something like that in an air rifle I will always feel like theres room for improvement. Just know that for the money this is a great trigger with a lot of adjustability. 

Convenience: 
Its a piston gun. I will pretty much always give a piston gun 4 stars. The reason I love these piston guns so much is because you aren't attached at the hip... stock... to a charging station. All I need to go shoot is a tin of pellets and my rifle, no pumps, cords, batteries, compressors, or tanks, just me, the rifle, and a tin of its favorite food. So why only 4 stars? A company called FX has the only rifle I can in good conscience give 5 stars. If I was unaware of that rifles existence piston guns would always get 5 stars, but since I know about the FX Independence rifle I am obligated to reserve 5 star ranking for it and rifles like it. The Independence is a PCP with a pump lever built into the reservoir, its multi shot and needs no extra crap to go with it. This is a review for the 48 though, not the Independence. 

Value for the money: ★ 
This really is a fantastic rifle for the money. No its not cheat but its really not that expensive either. To put top quality Hawke optics and BKL mounts on it your going to be in the rifle fro about 600 but thats nothing compared to some of thee PCP guns that have become so popular. With the 48 you get all the rifle you'll ever need without ever having to pay for a charging station. 

Overall: 
Im going to give the 48 five stars. Its a great rifle, super accurate, very powerful, and I really don't have much of anything bad to say about it. Looking to launch your own personal squirrelmagedon? Get yourself and RWS 48 and don't look back. 

2 comments:

  1. You have been added to the Gun Blog Black List. Please keep up with your shooting. You miht want to put up some more pictures of the Air Rifles you are shooting, plus any modifications you have done to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GreyLocke! I have a momentary respit from school and I have been doing my best to catch up on my blogging during that time. I will definitely throw some more pictures up!

      Delete

I don't mind some vulgarity, but inappropriate comments, attacks, and general ignorance are not things I tolerate. I encourage discussion and debate, I don't much care for hissy man fights. If I feel your not contributing to the education of others or the betterment of the website, you will be removed from it. Other than that, have fun and give me some feedback!