Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Quick Tidbit

I got a chance to shoot the 1377 a little bit last night. I haven't got a chance to zero it at all and I was just shooting it in as the sights were when I put them on. At close range we were shooting spiders off logs and beetles off of 55 gallon drums, but when we stretched it out to 30 yards it became apparent that some adjustments were needed.

I was rather taken aback by how good the trigger was. It is actually so light with such little pull that the first time my friend shot it he missed the target completely because he had his finger on the trigger a little too soon. Another thing that surprised me was that it went supersonic. We got a legitimate crack out of it at 15 pumps. 15 pumps is the highest I am willing to go on this pistol but I never imagined we would get anything even close to the speed of sound out of this pistol. I will admit we were cheating a bit and using pba ammo, but still, the fact that a PISTOL went supersonic is quite impressive. We didn't get it to repeat the sonic crack when we tried a few more times which means the pistol is probably right on the borderline of 1000ish fps with the 7g pellets we were using.

I will take the piston out and tighten up the piston/ valve gap a bit since it seems to have gotten a little looser as we shot. Afterwards Im going to see if I can't borrow a chronograph and gets some real velocity figures from this pistol. Im actually starting to wonder if it may be a decent enough small game piece when I don't feel like lugging around one of my rifles.

Anyways, just thought I would share. As always, stay safe and keep it classy!


Thought:

I was sitting here reading a few comments from Tom Gaylord about the Gamo Hunter Extreme and how he thought they achieved the 1600 fps claims. It dawned on me that I had a supersonic emission because I had just lubricated the entire gun, not because it was shooting just insanely hard. The phenomena is known as dieseling. What happens is oil from the barrel, valve, where ever, makes its way into the barrel and behind the projectile itself. When the pellet travels down the tube it creates sufficient heat from friction (or compression) to ignite the atomized oil and basically turn the air gun into an honest to goodness firearm. That is why I got my crack, not velocity, I was dieseling. Fun stuff either way. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't mind some vulgarity, but inappropriate comments, attacks, and general ignorance are not things I tolerate. I encourage discussion and debate, I don't much care for hissy man fights. If I feel your not contributing to the education of others or the betterment of the website, you will be removed from it. Other than that, have fun and give me some feedback!