Wednesday, August 7, 2013

My First Acid Trip

I said the other day that I had acid etched my 1377, I figured I would post a pic or two. It turned out really well. I used Ferric Chloride to do the etching. I will admit it turned out a bit different than I originally expected but hey, it still looks pretty cool in my humble opinion. I'll do a step by step how to but it won't be until my breech come in.

Before:

After:

Another interesting note was that the acid affected the rifling quite a bit. I plugged the barrel but evidently the fumes from the acid were enough to eat the metal. Originally I was quite upset about this since my accuracy on the Crosman Premier Domes, I did the review with, went to complete crap. I mean I went from pellet on pellet to a group over 3 inches center to center. My best theory was that the acid had increased the depth of the rifling groves so I decided to try and find a pellet it liked in my stash of 177. As it turns out the 1377 went from a rather picky eater to a buffet pistol. I could put 5 shots in a quarter with most any of my pellets, there were some that weren't so good and some pellets that did better than others but the best two were JSB Diablo Exact Jumbos and Gamo Tomahawks. I will be feeding it the Tomahawks as they are MUCH cheaper and easier to get.


Truth be told I actually stopped testing about half way through. I was getting such good results constantly that I just didn't really see the need to continue. 

As  always, stay safe and keep it classy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't mind some vulgarity, but inappropriate comments, attacks, and general ignorance are not things I tolerate. I encourage discussion and debate, I don't much care for hissy man fights. If I feel your not contributing to the education of others or the betterment of the website, you will be removed from it. Other than that, have fun and give me some feedback!